Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wikipedia

I still don't know exactly how to feel about Wikipedia. I have used it to gather background information on particular topics but have never used the content or referenced it in my work. This is probably due to my original opinion that it is a social encyclopedia that is not monitored. However, I have since discovered that Wikipedia has a tight set of guidelines and rules that ensure the information provided is accurate.

I think if I were to use Wikipedia in the classroom, I would be inclined to use it for quick reference. For example, if we were commencing a science project on energy, and all the students were interested in what kinetic energy was, we may quickly search Wikipedia and place the results on the interactive whiteboard, knowing that there will be a relatively accurate definition available. We may also use Wikipedia in group activities where students have 15 minutes to source as much information as possible about a particular topic to present to the class. Wikipedia would probably be their first port of call because the information is extensive and usually available.

However, Because of the exhaustive nature of the site, I would probably be inclined to place rules on its usage. Students need to develop effective research skills and if we allow them simply to go to one site that has all the answers, they are not developing their ability to search for relevant data.

No comments:

Post a Comment